Gifted and Talented Pathway (GATE)
Academic Excellence Scholarships
Applications are now closed.
HARRISDALE CAMPUS ONLY
Achieving a Carey Academic Excellence scholarship gives students the confidence to pursue other goals. It is important for students to recognise their own potential early in their academic career so that they foster its growth. Participating in classes with other gifted and talented students motivates and extends them.
Recipients of this scholarship will have consistently demonstrated an excellent academic standard and potential in a number of areas.
Recipients will participate in a Year 7 program that offers variety, engagement and challenge. Carey has developed a curriculum that is full of hands-on, learning-rich activities which are designed to not only engage the students, but also teach them problem solving skills, creativity and ways of learning that will benefit their later years of study.
Carey aims to encourage its students to develop a growth mindset which leads to a desire to learn and embrace challenges; persist in the face of setbacks; see effort as the path to mastery; learn from feedback; and celebrate the success of others.
Entrance to the Program
If selected, students will sit a HAST aptitude test, which includes sections in Reading Comprehension and Written Expression, as well as Mathematical Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning.
Students scoring highly on the Reading Comprehension and Written Expression sections may be eligible to be awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship in either of the Round 1 or Round 2 offers, based on their application and test results.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and potential for the remainder of time the student attends the College. The continuation of the scholarship will depend on the student’s positive conduct and academic progress. Scholarship recipients will be reviewed annually.
Successful students will be offered the following scholarships:
First Round Offers: 75% deduction of academic tuition fees for the remainder of their schooling at Carey Baptist College.
Second Round Offers: 50% deduction of academic tuition fees for the remainder of their schooling at Carey Baptist College.
How to Apply
Applications are now closed.
- Applications must be received by 4pm on the closing date of Monday 6 April 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Testing is held in Year 6 for entrance in Year 7 2021.
- Parents will be notified by email on Wednesday 8 April if their child has been invited to sit the HAST academic entrance test.
- The test has been produced by the Australian Council for Educational Research and is used by over 100 Secondary schools across Australia and internationally.
- The test date is Saturday 2 May in Building J, Carey Baptist College, 51 Wright Road Harrisdale. The test commences at 9am.
- Places will be offered on the basis of test scores and the documents attached to the application.
- If selected, your child will be offered a place at Carey Baptist College and a scholarship, subject to an interview with the Principal. Please note that there is a payment of an enrolment fee of $250 at the acceptance of external enrolments.
- All other costs, levies and charges outside of the Scholarship are the responsibility of the parents.
- Students can apply for the Music Specialist Program, STEM GATE Program and the Academic Excellence Scholarship, but if successful will only be awarded one scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be reviewed annually.
Application Timeline – 2021 Program
Please click here for more information.
Mon 6 April – 4pm
Test Invitations Emailed
Wed 8 April
Sat 2 May – 9am
Week commencing Mon 25 May