Gifted and Talented Pathway (GATE)
Music Selective Program and Scholarships
HARRISDALE CAMPUS ONLY
We are proud to have one of the best Music Programs and Facilities in Western Australia, staffed by tutors and educators that are respected nationally for shaping outstanding musicians.
Our highly respected Music Department offers education in a variety of genres, including Contemporary Popular Music, Western Art/Classical Music, Jazz Music and Musical Theatre.
Students participate in a variety of music ensembles and bands, and have multiple opportunities to perform during the year – on-site, across Perth and Western Australia and in national competitions.
Carey Baptist College has active connections with WAAPA (Western Australia Academy of Performing Arts) and the James Morrison Academy, with many of our Music students accepted into these tertiary institutions following graduation from Carey.
Piano, Classical Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Clarinet, Flute, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Baritone, Euphonium, Tuba, Percussion, Drum Set and Voice.
About the Program
Our Gifted and Talented Entrance (GATE) Music Pathway provides students with the opportunity to participate in Carey’s Specialist Music Program.
Students enter the GATE Music Program in Year 7 and continue in the program until the end of Year 10. In Year 11 and 12, students can continue with Music as an ATAR subject.
Entrance to this selective program and the offer of scholarships is awarded based on musical excellence and performance in the academic test.
Applicants will be required to sit the academic test and participate in an audition.
The minimum level of musical standard expected of the scholarship applicant is AMEB Grade 3 or similar. It is not necessary that the formal qualification has been attained to apply for this program.
The test has been produced by the Australian Council for Educational Research and is used by over 100 Secondary schools across Australia and internationally.
Scholarship recipients will be expected to:
- Maintain a high level of achievement in their chosen field of music study;
- Take classroom Music Specialist elective at least until the end of Year 10;
- Be a member of instrumental/vocal ensembles;
- Be fully supportive of, and contribute to, the musical life of the College.
Students will be offered the following scholarships:
First Round Offers: 75% deduction of academic tuition fees for the remainder of their schooling at Carey Baptist College.
Second Round Offers: 50% deduction of academic tuition fees for the remainder of their schooling at Carey Baptist College.
Third Round Offers: 25% deduction of academic tuition fees for the remainder of their schooling at Carey Baptist College.
Students will be required to participate in weekly instrumental tuition lessons and these will be charged to the parent. Instrumental hire fees are not included in the Scholarship, but may be organised through the College if the student does not already have their own instrument.
How to Apply
Applications for the 2020 GATE Music Program and Scholarships have now closed. An application form for the 2021 Program will be available in early 2020 for Year 7 2021. Keep an eye on our website and Facebook for updates.
For information regarding the Music Program, application or selection process, please contact:
Mr Bruce Thompson – Head of Music
(08) 9394 9116 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications closed on Monday 24 June 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants for the GATE Music Program are required to participate in an audition as well as an academic entrance test.
- Testing is held in Year 6 for entrance into the Program in Year 7. Parents will be notified by email on Friday 28 June 2019 if their child has been invited to sit the academic entrance test.
- This test has been produced by the Australian Council for Educational Research and is used by over 100 Secondary schools across Australia and internationally.
- The test date is Saturday 27 July 2019 in Building J, Carey Baptist College, 51 Wright Rd Harrisdale. The test commences at 9am. Places will be offered on the basis of test scores, the documents attached to the application and an audition that takes place on Saturday 3 August 2019. If selected, your child will be offered a place at Carey Baptist College and a Music scholarship, subject to an interview with the Principal. Please note that there is a payment of an enrolment fee of $500 at the acceptance of external enrolments.
- Please note that all other costs, levies and charges outside of the Scholarship are the responsibility of the parents.
- Students can apply for both the Music and STEM GATE Programs, but if successful will only be awarded one scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be reviewed annually.
For candidates successfully shortlisted, a 20-minute audition will require the candidate to present:
- 2 contrasting pieces of the candidates own choice;
- Aural tests;
- Interview with the Audition panel.
Shortlisted applicants are welcome to provide their own accompanist at their expense.
Application Timeline – 2020 Program
Wed 19 June 2019 – 7 to 8pm
Mon 24 June 2019 – 5pm
Invitation for Test Sent
Fri 28 June 2019
Academic Test Date
Sat 27 July 2019 – 9am
Sat 3 August 2019
Week commencing Mon 12 August 2019
Other Carey GATE Programs
We also have a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Program available.